Throw out your refrigerators
National Rice Ball Day
Five Food Finds about Rice Balls
- The rice balls preserve very well, and can even be used to preserve meats or other foods within its airtight seal.
- The rice ball is traditionally Japanese.
- Typically the rice is soaked in vinegar and made to stick together. Dipping it in soy sauce will cause it to fall apart again.
- Rice balls date back at least as far as the 11th century.
- Another word for the rice ball is “Onigiri”, a word commonly misused to refer to sushi.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1877 Ole Evinrude was born. He invented the first practical outboard motor in 1909. The idea came to him while rowing a boat to a picnic one day. He decided there must be an easier way to move a small boat on the water.
1882 Charles Darwin Died. Pioneering English naturalist who developed the…
View original post 164 more words