Oh. Oh, oh, oh! I got those babies growing in my garden. Hopefully, the squirrels won’t get them first.
National Strawberries and Cream Day
Five Food Finds about Strawberries
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- The ancient Romans believed that strawberries alleviated symptoms of melancholy, fainting, all inflammations, fevers, throat infections, kidney stones, bad breath, attacks of gout, and diseases of the blood, liver and spleen.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring.
- Over 53 percent of seven to nine-year-olds picked strawberries as their favorite fruit.
- In a test, subjects who ate nitrate rich foods like strawberries, before exercising burned 100 more calories than those who did not.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1923 Delmonico’s Restaurant closed its doors, a victim of Prohibition. (Some sources list October 4, 1918).
1987 R.I.P. Archie Fairley Carr. An American biologist and authority on turtles. His extensive studies and conservation efforts helped to increase turtle populations around the world.
2009 After months of numerous…
View original post 31 more words